Monday, April 8, 2013

easter parade new york city 2013.


Ah. Easter on Fifth Avenue. Surely you are picturing Judy Garland singing about it now. To my surprise our experience wasn't too far off from that very song. We had our Easter bonnets, frills included; Steve was my "grandest fella in the Easter parade" and the photographers did "snap us". I would say about the only differences were the unfortunate lack of horse-drawn carriages and we weren't in the "rotogravure" (whatever that is!). We did get some press, however, so I'm counting it!

As we were headed to the parade with our friends the Glasses, I mentioned that I would be thrilled if we saw Bill Cunningham. He has always been on my list of "top three people I want to meet in New York" (along with Tim Gunn. Only one more to go. Bet you can't guess who.) Well luck was with me that day as right when we were arriving I saw a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye. I pointed and yelled out "Bill Cunningham". You know, like you do. How embarrassing! And even more surprising is he was running to take our photograph! I was so giddy I am sure I messed up all 20 shots with a ridiculous grin. I couldn't believe my eyes. Of any camera in the world I would want to be on the other end of, it would be his.
Our Easter best: My hat came from an antique store in Yardsley, PA where Kristy got the Easter Pram. I made the golden egg on top with three pastel birds peeking out. A few people asked me if they were real. Ha! Steve's hat was passed down by my very stylish father-in-law.
At the Easter Parade you either go to take photos of other people or to get your photo taken. I didn't really expect that. To me it just seemed like the perfect excuse to dress up. We all felt like celebrities with throngs of people surrounding us and cameras flashing every which way.
I noticed a lot of people made bonnets out of manila folders. It was really clever and some of them were very elegant.
 
We received a lot of unexpected press attention. Steve got pulled aside by a men's fashion blogger from Brazilian Vogue and we all got a kick out of that. Here he is pictured with a photographer from New York Magazine.
These are a few of the captures we found popping up on the internet. We even had a photo on Getty Images that I found on the Huffington Post website. The top left is Steve's feature on the NY Mag website.

We had so much fun and can't wait to return. Next year we better step it up to make it in Bill's slideshow. Wink wink.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I want to come next year and wear a crazy hat! That looks like something I would GREATLY enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It means a lot to me. After all, what is a blog without its readers? xo.